The Liebman –

Loveman Family


The New Jersey Liebmans

The Cleveland Lovemans

The Southern Lovemans

Literary Lovemans

Loveman Merchants

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4

Those Who Stayed Behind


Click on a name in either family tree below for more information on many individuals listed. For a full page, printable family tree, click here for the top tree and here for the bottom one.


New Jersey and Cleveland Branches



Southern Loveman Branch




 Loveman Merchants - Nashville


fter Morris Loveman (1812-1887) and his son David (1838-1914) relocated to Nashville during the Civil War, both established businesses there. Morris opened a wholesale dry goods and notions house on Cedar Street, while David set up a corset and hoop skirt manufacturing company at 60 North College Street, just north of the City Square.  It advertised "Skirts made to order at the shortest notice. Dealers in Ladies Furnishing Goods; also old skirts repaired, altered and shaped as new. A full stock constantly on hand.”

1884 and 1880 bills of sale from D. Loveman & Co.  Click to enlarge.

Both Morris’ and David’s businesses prospered. David’s, which became D. Loveman & Company, expanded beyond hoop skirts, which eventually became unfashionable, into a larger dry goods establishment. With the addition of partners Samuel W. Berger and Henry Teitelbaum in the 1890s, it became a department store and took the name Loveman, Berger & Teitelbaum, and the sobriquet, “The Satisfactory Store.”

Loveman, Berger & Teitelbaum erected this building at Fifth and Union Streets in downtown Nashville at the turn of the 20th century. It was sold in 1961 and razed in 1966. Click to enlarge.

Courtesy of the Nashville Public Library, The Nashville Room


Loveman’s was regular advertiser in the business directory and newspapers of the day. By 1870 the business was not only manufacturing hoop skirts, but importing French corsets and dealing in a full line of white goods, Irish linen, hosiery and human and artificial hair.

The company prospered in the first half of the 20th century. In 1951, it opened a suburban location at Harding and White Bridge Roads , which became its flagship store. The downtown store was vacated in 1961, sold and torn down in 1966. One of Nashville's greatest mercantile houses, it closed its doors in 1976. 

Nashville Loveman's Advertisement, The Tennesseean, June 2, 1946. Click to enlarge.

Click on any underlined words in the site for more information. For acknowledgments and contact information, click here.